Finding family – First Steps
1. Begin by gathering as much information as possible from family members, including stories and documentation.
2. Where did the family come from? Consult “Jewishgen”
4. For Eastern Europe, check whether there a web page for the town or region. What records exist? What has been transcribed? What is available? Choose a country
and follow the links.
6. Find out about cemeteries
in the your family's place of origin
7. If the family is from Eastern Europe, find out whether there is a community register or Yizkor Book. Look for other books about the town that might contain names and possible information about the family.Jewishgen - YizkorJewishgen - Holocaust
8. Search the Yad Vashem central database for surnames – EnglishHebrew
2. Other Places: Do a Google search for the place name + Jewish community or consult Wikipedia.
3. What's next? Join a Jewishgen discussion group
(free) or one of the SIGs (Special Interest Groups) and receive a daily digest of postings
4. Join a genealogy group, register your family names and search the group's sites for family connections: