Library > Library Renewal > The Library

The Library

 The National Library of Israel

The National Library of Israel, previously named the Jewish National and University Library, was established in 1892 in Jerusalem and is a national institution operating under The National Library of Israel Law (2007). Its principal goals are to collect, preserve, foster and disseminate treasures of knowledge, heritage and culture in general, and those pertaining to the Land of Israel, the State of Israel and the Jewish people, in particular. The National Library of Israel has three roles:
 
•  The National Library of the Jewish People
•  The National Library of the State of Israel
•  The Central Research Library in Israel in the Humanities

The National Library collects information – text, sound, audio and visual – published in Israel, as well as other books, photographs, archives, newspapers and magazines purchased or received as donations. The Books Law (2000) requires that two copies of any book, magazine, research paper, recording, movie or any other publication be delivered in two copies to The National Library of Israel. (This applies if 50 or more copies of the publication are produced and made publicly available.)
                                                                 
The Library is currently housed in the Lady Davis Building on the Edmond J. Safra campus of The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Givat Ram).