Pinkassim

Pinkas Kehillat Halberstadt

Halberstadt was, in the eighteenth century, the largest Jewish community in Prussia, and administered other Jewish settlements in the region.  The pinkas covers the period 1793-1809.  It is written in German, mostly in Hebrew letters, though Gothic lettering is used too.  The original is preserved in the National Library of Israel in Jerusalem.


 

Pinkas Kehillat Holešov

Called by Jews, Helishoy, Holesov contained one of Moravia’s leading Jewish communities in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.  The community pinkas covers the period 1737-1771 and contains about 100 leaves.  Written in Hebrew and Yiddish, it contains community regulations, announcements, and lists of elected officials.  The original is preserved in the National Library of Israel in Jerusalem.


 

Pinkas Kehillat Ballenstedt 

Pinkas Kehillat Ballenstedt is the pinkas of a small community in the Principality of Anhalt, today in Saxony, Germany.  It contains communal regulations, announcements, accounts, and records of membership dues from 1788 to 1845.  Written in German in both Hebrew and Gothic lettering, the manuscript contains over 350 leaves, only 197 of which have been used. The original is preserved in the National Library of Israel in Jerusalem.

 


 

Pinkas Kehillat Hanau

Pinkas Kehillat Hanau is of an important community in the Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, not far from Frankfurt a.M.   It consists of 206 leaves often in closely written German in Hebrew letters and covers the period between 1774 and 1800. The original is preserved in the National Library of Israel in Jerusalem.


 

Pinkas Kehillat Frankfurt am Main

Pinkas Kehillat Frankfurt am Main is one of the oldest and most extensive pinkassim to have survived from early modern Europe.  Used by the community council in one of the largest and most important German communities, it contains 324 leaves and covers the period between 1552 and 1802.    Containing over 500 documents, this pinkas sheds light on every aspect of Jewish life in Frankfurt. It is written in Hebrew and German in Hebrew letters.

The original is preserved in the National Library of Israel in Jerusalem.


 

Pinkas Kehillat Dubno

Pinkas Kehillat Dubno, from a major Jewish community in western Ukraine, covers the period 1715-1835.  Written in Hebrew and Yiddish, it contains 129 leaves.  In addition to the kind of regulations, announcements, and election lists usually found in such pinkassim, the Dubno pinkas also holds a complete communal constitution from 1717. The original is preserved in the National Library of Israel in Jerusalem.


 

Pinkas Kehillat Frankfurt an der Oder

Pinkas Kehillat Frankfurt Oder, from an important Jewish mercantile center on the border between the German lands and Poland, covers the period between 1775 and 1792, though it also contains copies of documents from the seventeenth century.  Written in Hebrew and German in Hebrew letters, it contains 170 leaves.  The original is preserved in the National Library of Israel in Jerusalem.

 

 

Pinkas Kehillat Frankfurt am Main

Pinkas Kehillat Frankfurt am Main contains records of the membership dues and other payments made by the members of the Frankfurt community between 1729 and 1739.  It also contains copies of records from the seventeenth century.  The pinkas contains 384 leaves and is written in German in Hebrew letters. The original is preserved in the National Library of Israel in Jerusalem.

 

 

Sefer Ha-zikhronot

​Sefer Ha-zikhronot is the pinkas of the kahal – the Jewish Community Council - in the major community of Poznań (called by Jews, Pozna) in north-western Poland.  It is one of the oldest surviving pinkassim covering the period between 1592 and 1689.  The manuscript, which contains more than 300 leaves, is written mostly in Hebrew, with a few documents in Yiddish.  The original is preserved in the Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People in Jerusalem.

 

 

Pinkas Ha-kesherim

Pinkas Ha-kesherim is the pinkas of the body of electors in the Poznań community.  Unlike in any other community, the electors did not disband after the communal elections but acted as supervisors of the newly elected board.  The pinkas, which contains 480 leaves, is therefore a unique record of communal functioning and beautifully complements Sefer Ha-zikhronot.  Written in Hebrew and Yiddish, it covers the period between 1621 and 1835. The original is preserved in the Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People in Jerusalem.

 

 

Pinkas Kahal Trebic

Pinkas Kahal Trebic is the pinkas of the minor Moravian community of Trebic, part of the Habsburg Empire and today in the Czech Republic.  Containing 105 leaves, it covers the period between 1674 and 1803.   It consists mainly of the regulations published by the Community Council and is written in Hebrew, Yiddish, and German.  The original is preserved in the Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People in Jerusalem.

 

 

Pinkas Medinat Kleve

Pinkas Medinat Kleve is the pinkas of the Regional Jewish Parliament (German, Landjudenschaft) of Kleve in the lower Rhine region of northwestern Germany.  Annexed to Prussia, its towns held no established communities, so all the Jewish settlements of the region banded together to create a regional body of self-administration.  The original pinkas was lost in the Holocaust, scanned here is the manuscript copy made and annotated for publication by the major Jewish historian, Yitzhak Baer.  It consists of 136 pages, is written in Hebrew and Yiddish and covers the period, 1691-1803. Prof. Baer’s manuscript is preserved in the Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People in Jerusalem.

 

 

Memorialbuch des Gemeinde-Aktuars, Altona

The clerk (shamash) of the Altona Community outside Hamburg in northern Germany used this pinkas.  In the period here, Altona was administered by the Danish monarchy and formed one of three communities existing in close proximity – Altona, Hamburg, and Wandsbeck.  The pinkas contains documents dealing with issues of civil status, jurisdiction, and disputes between community members between 1760 and 1776.  Written in Hebrew, it contains about 100 leaves.    The original is preserved in the Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People in Jerusalem.