The Jewish National and University Library was established in Jerusalem in 1892. Over the years it accumulated both ancient and new works pertaining to Jewish intellectual heritage, as well as books published in various parts of the Jewish world. When the Hebrew University of Jerusalem was established in 1925, the Library was officially named "The Jewish National and University Library" and the scope of the collections was greatly expanded.
Until 1948, the Library was located on the Mount Scopus campus of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. After the War of Independence, the Library was relocated several times within Jerusalem until it moved to its current location on the Givat Ram Campus of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in November, 1960.