This is a photograph from 1938 of a woman named Tamar Lapidot distributing milk on Kibbutz Hazorea. Tamar Lapidot, wearing khaki clothing and a white head scarf, is ladling milk from a large, metal container into a smaller glass bottle for distribution. Behind Lapidot, women are sitting on the ground, apparently waiting for the milk to be distributed. In the background are a few small, wooden buildings. Fields can be glimpsed in the distance.
Would You Like to Know More?
Kibbutz Hazorea - Kibbutz Hazorea is located in the western Jezreel Valley and was founded in 1934 by members of the German youth movement Werkleute. The group first formed in Germany, where they began planning an alternative to life in Germany. With the rise of the Nazi party in 1933, the group prepared to move to Israel. They were supported by a German fund that was established to purchase land in Israel. Once in Israel, they established Kibbutz Hazorea where they raised goats and sheep, planted fruits and vegetables, and developed a successful dairy. The kibbutz subsequently moved away from traditional agriculture and established several industries such as food packaging. More recently, they have reintroduced goats and have begun producing high-quality yoghurts, cheeses, and ice creams.