HaAretz, the longest running daily newspaper in Israel, has been published continuously for 100 years.
Founded in 1919, the newspaper was initially published in Jerusalem, and since 1922 it has been published in Tel-Aviv.
From its first years, and up till nowadays, HaAretz has been a focal point of Israeli Journalism.
In the mid 1930’s the newspaper was purchased by Shlomo Salman Schocken. His son Gershom Schocken was appointed as chief-editor, a position he held until his death in 1990. During his long tenure as chief-editor and publisher, Gershom Schocken continued to establish the newspaper’s chief role in the Israeli journalistic and cultural sphere, which it holds up to this day, much more than its circulation would imply.
In the upcoming years we will complete the digitization of HaAretz historic archive, and it will be available here on the Historical Jewish Press website.
A new detailed article about the newspaper is in preparation.
In the meantime we present you with this short text that appears on HaAretz website.