Available Between 1919-1938

​​One of the prominent traits of this newspaper was that it was controversial. It supported the opposition against the Mufti and the Supreme Muslim Council, and its owners participated in the establishment of new parties and organizations. On the other hand, in the thirties, the newspaper took a positive stance on the Mandatory regime and even emphasized positive aspects of the Zionist project and called for exploiting the Jewish immigration for development of the county. Nevertheless, it is very difficult to point to a uniform policy which the newspaper maintained over time. Its founder was the educator and journalist Bulus Shehada (Ramallah 1882-1943), a graduate of the English College in Jerusalem. In 1908 Shehada fled the country to Egypt following his comments critical of the Sultan and the Ottoman regime. He was politically active and took part in nationwide national committees in Palestine. The newspaper’s offices were attacked several times by those who disapproved of the newspaper’s policy that sometimes took a conciliatory tone toward the Mandate authorities and was even blamed by fellow journalists for being a mouthpiece of the Mandate regime in matters that contradicted the interests of members of Arab society and its national aspirations. Initially it was published in two languages, Arabic and English, but after a short time (it is not clear how long exactly) it was published only in Arabic. The newspaper closed in 1939 probably due to its coverage of the political activity of the years of the general strike.