Music > Collections > Detailed Archives > Shabtai Petrushka

Shabtai Petrushka

 Petrushka, Shabtai, 1903-1997

Sabtai Petrushka Shabtai Petrushka, born 13 March, 1903 (as Siegmund Leo Petrushka) in Leipzig, Germany, died 14 December, 1997, in Jerusalem.


Israeli composer and conductor. Shabtai Petrushka grew up in an orthodox family and served as a young cantor at the daily prayers in his Jewish school. He studied piano, violoncello and theory in Leipzig. Between 1919 and 1922 he sang in the Gewandhaus Choir in Leipzig under the direction of Arthur Nikisch. In 1923 he moved to Berlin intending to study mechanical engineering. He started to study trumpet and contrabass and founded, together with Kurt Kaiser, the jazz ensemble "Sid Kay’s Fellows". He gave up the idea of becoming an engineer and devoted all his energy to the ensemble which, under his baton, accompanied various theatrical performances and performed in many places including Vienna, Budapest, Frankfurt, Barcelona and Munich. In 1933 the ensemble was disbanded and Petrushka founded a new one, while playing with The Orchestra of the Jewish Cultural Society and composing music for various plays (among them the Shalom Aleichem play ‘Amcha’). Using pseudonyms, to disguise his being a Jew, he worked as music arranger for the Deutsche Gramophone Gesellschaft and for UFA films, Berlin. In 1938 he immigrated to Palestine and joined the Palestine Broadcasting Service as composer, conductor and arranger of its orchestra. In the first decade of the independent State of Israel Petrushka served as Deputy director of the Music Programs Dept. of “Kol Yerushalaym” (“Voice of Jerusalem”) and in 1958 was appointed the Director of Music Section in “Kol Israel” ("Voice of Israel”) and held this post until his retirement. Petrushka served as a jury member in international competitions for composers as well as a representative of the Israeli Broadcast Authority in European forums . In the years 1969-1981, Petrushka was senior lecturer for orchestration at the Rubin Academy of Music and Dance, Jerusalem. His compositions are a clear indication of his attachment to the music of the Jewish communities in the Diaspora - both in the East and the West. Petrushka composed orchestral, chamber and solo music for instruments and vocal music for choir as well as arrangements to Jewish and Israeli songs and dances.


Among his works:

 ·  Shelishiyah String Trio (1939)

 ·  Lehavot Ba’Eifer (Flames in Ashes) Orchestral suite from a radio play
    on Vilna Ghetto (1947)

 ·  Shir Le'Tayeset (Squadron Song) for voice and piano (1949)

 ·  Four Movements for Wind ensemble (1953)

 ·  Three Movements for Orchestra (1959)

 ·  Shalosh Romansot Sefaradiyot (Three Sefaradic Romances) for Flute,
    Oboe, Clarinet and Bassoon (1974)


References:

 ·  Alice Tischler, A Descriptive Bibliography of Art Music by Israeli Composers,
    Harmonie Park Press, Michigan, 1988

 ·  Yehuda Cohen, The Heirs of The Psalmist, Israel's New Music,

    Am Oved Publishers Ltd, Tel Aviv, 1990 (in Hebrew)

 ·  Shabtai Petrushka Archive, Music Center, National Library of Israel,
    Jerusalem

 ·  www.israelcomposers.org

 

Archive Details

Creator

Petrushka, Shabtai, 1903-1997

Title

Shabtai Petrushka

Call No.

MUS 066

Repository

Music Center

Extent

1 meter

Languages

Hebrew, German, English, French

Source of Acquisition

Donated by the composer in the late 1980’s

Processing history

Catalogued by Claude Abravanel

Shelf No.

Music Center Archives

Scopeiandicontent

Life and Work of the Composer

Organiztioniofithe Collection

Section

Units

Content

A

19

Manuscripts (Original Compositions)

B

67

Manuscripts (Arrangments)

C

16

Manuscripts (Arrangments for Jazz Orchestra)

D

Manuscripts (Sketches)

E

62

Articles & Lectures

F

408

Correspondence

G

17

Documents

H

4

Various Materials

I

35

Programmes

J

36

Newspaper Clippings

K

11

Periodicals & Articles

L

11

Varia

M

Compositions by John Henri Sax

N

Photographs

 

Conditionsigoverning access:

In Music Center

Conditionsigoverning

reproductioniand copyrightistatus:

 

Authorized by the Music Center

Preferredicitation:

MUS 066, Music Center, National Library of Israel, Jerusalem

 

 

 

 

 

 

NLI_ImageGallery
NliImageGallery
  • A letter (in Hebrew) to the municipality of Jerusalem, 8.8.1982 (Catalogue no. MUS. 066 / F 117)
  • Shabtai Petrushka (with Accordion) in Purim festival at the "Hadasa" Hospital in Jerusalem with girls choir, around 1940 (Catalogue no. MUS. 066 / N)
  • Shabtai Petrushka as trumpeter in "The Palestine Broadcasting Service Orchestra", 1944 (Catalogue no. MUS.066 / N)
  • A letter (in Hebrew) to Shabtai Petrushka from Natanel Lorch, Israel Consulate, Los Angeles, 9.9.1957 (Catalogue no. MUS. 066 / F 299)
  • Shabtai Petrushka conducting "The Palestine Broadcasting Service Orchestra" in Jerusalem, May 1948 (Catalogue no. MUS. 066 \ N)
  • Shabtai Petrushka (center) in his office at "Kol Israel" ("the Voice of Israel") with Arie Sachs (left) and Shalom Ronli-Riklis, the 1950's (Catalogue no. MUS. 066 / N)
  • Sabtai Petrushka (second from left) with members of "Israel Rotary" organization with President Zalman Shazar, the 1960's (Catalogue no. MUS. 066 / N)
  • Four Ballet Movements for Orchestra, music manuscript, first movement, first page (Catalogue no. MUS. 066 / A17)
  • "Shelishiyah", Trio for Strings, music manuscript, first movement, first page (Catalogue no. MUS. 066 / A16)
  • "Shir Le'Tayeset" ("Squadron Song") for voice and piano, text by Shulamith Riftin (Hareven), music manuscript, first page (Catalogue no. MUS. 066 / A11)
  • "Der Fliegende Hamburger" for Jazz Orchestra, music manuscript, first page (Catalogue no. MUS. 066 / C 6)
  • A programme (in Hebrew) of "The Orchestra for Popular Music", 31.7.1935 (Catalogue no. MUS. 066 / I)