To see if a copy may be borrowed:
• Copies specified as "Requestable to Reading Rooms" can be ordered to a reading
room and are for in-library use only.
• Copies specified as "Copy for Loan" may be borrowed.
To borrow books for home use, you must open a library card and purchase a membership:
Membership fees are:
1 Year: 200 NIS
6 months: 100 NIS
There are discounts for seniors, new immigrants and disabled IDF veterans. For more information, call 074-7336-414/3.
• To apply for a library card you must have a valid ID (foreign citizens must present
• Students, faculty and administrative staff of the Hebrew University may borrow
materials using their student card or staff ID.
• Masters and Doctoral Students as well as scholars from all Israeli University,
may borrow books by presenting a letter of guarantee from their academic
• Undergraduates and staff from other institutions may borrow books by
presenting a letter of guarantee from their academic institution including:
Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design,
The David Yellin Academic College of Education, Efrata College,
Hadassa College, Hebrew Union College, Jerusalem College,
The Jerusalem College of Engineering, Kaye Academic College of Education,
Lev Academic Center (JCT: The Jerusalem College of Technology – Machon Tal
and Machon Lev), Ono Academic College, Sha’arei Mishpat College,
Shaanan College, Shalem College, The Schechter Institutes, Israel
Antiquities Authority, The College of the Literary Arts – Poetry Place,
The Open University of Israel.
Books can be borrowed for one month. the reader is responsible for returning the books to the Library at the end of the loan period.
Materials are not renewed automatically, and non-returned items will incur a fine (30 NIS per item, for every week the item is overdue).
The National Library reserves the right to take disciplinary action, including denial of borrowing privileges, against readers that fail to return books on time, cause damage to books, or do not pay their fines.
Late Fines for Late Library Returns
The library collects fines for late returns of items. The fine is 30 NIS a week per item.
A reader who has lost an item lent out to him, has the options to choose between:
1) Independently purchasing the same item for replacement. Only an identical item will be accepted, including the relevant edition.
2) Payment for the lost item, determined by the acquisition department, with the addition of a handling fee for every lost item.
Items that have not been requested by another user may be renewed.
Materials may be renewed using the online catalogue. Login to Merhav, enter your user name and password. Then click on "My Account".
You can also renew materials by calling the department: 074-7336-414/3.
Order items (books and journals) via Merhav.
Special items (i.e. those that cannot be ordered online) can be ordered filling the Online order form.
If you ordered an item for loan, you will receive email notification shortly.
You may also telephone the Circulation department: 074-7336-414/3
If you ordered an item for Reading Room use, you can call the Reading Room an hour later to check on the order:
General Reading Room: 074-7336-420
Judaica and Islam/Middle East Reading Room: 074-7336-435
For questions, comments and requests please contact: email@example.com, and include your full name, e-mail, phone number, and mailing address.