Herzog & de Meuron, 2001 Pritzker Prize Laureates, Selected to Design the National Library of Israel
After extensive discussions, a headed by Prof. Luis Fernández-Galiano decided to recommend the Swiss office of Herzog & de Meuron to be the architects for the National Library of Israel.
Additions to JPRESS – Several new newspapers have been added and existing newspapers expanded:
New – HaMizrahi (1918-1924): 2,588 pages; Magid Meisharim (Algeria, 1895-1896): 150 pages; HaMizpeh (1904-1921): 4,767 pages; HaTzofeh (1937-1957): 26,936 pages.
Expanded – The Occident: 3,889 pages (from 1854-1868); Haynt (1909-1910): 2,729 pages; Herut (1957-1964): 7,948 pages.
The addition of these 49,008 pages brings the total number of pages on the site to 863,226. The site now features 36 titles.
Additions to JPRESS
An additional 24,743 newspaper pages have been added to the JPRESS site:
Al HaMishmar – 1947; Maariv – 1980; Haynt –1911-1913; Davar – 1980-1981.
The total number of pages on the site is now 814,406.
New enhanced search
On Sept. 1, 2012, the National Library introduced an enhanced author search format. This new facility enables readers to retrieve all works by a particular author, in all languages, with one search.
Additions to JPRESS
An additional 61,533 newspaper pages have been added to the JPRESS site: Maariv: 20,485 pages (269 previously missing editions) 1972-1987; Herut: 3,947 pages (815 editions) 1954-1957; Davar: 33,377 pages (1,599 editions) 1974-1979; Qol Mahziqey Ha-Dat: 339 pages (41 previously missing editions) 1903-1914, obtained from Lwów; The Occident (English): 3,385 pages (65 editions) issued between 1851 and 1865
The total number of pages on the site is now 789,303
Bar and Bat Mitzvah at the National Library
We invite Bar and Bat Mitzvah adolescents and their families to choose a topic close to their hearts and venture out on an exploration of the Library to find fascinating and unique materials.
Two new titles, Ha-Modia and Moria, have been added to the JPRESS website, bringing the number of publications represented to 32.
Some 4,500 pages of issues from 1910-1915 appear on the site.
Ha-Modia is an ultra-orthodox newspaper published in Poltava (Tsarist Russia) from 1910-1915.
Moria is a newspaper published in Jerusalem between 1910 and 1915 by the printer Rabbi Yehudah Aharon Weiss (1876–1964). It was one of a dozen daily newspapers in the city at that time, and its aim was to promote the Old Yishuv and its ideology.
Digitized Hebrew Manuscripts Catalogue
We are delighted to announce that The National Library of Israel's online catalogue now includes more than 4000 linked records to freely available digitized Hebrew manuscripts online (post-dating the Dead Sea Scrolls) from institutions around the world, including 1000 on the NLI website itself.
An important addition to JPRESS website: "Herut", the daily newspaper of the main opposition party during the first years of the State of Israel
The newspaper was published in Tel-Aviv between 1948-1965. The Historical Jewish Press website now offers the issues between 1949 and September 1954.
An additional 87,752 pages have been added to the JPRESS website
from the following newspapers: Ma'ariv, Haynt, Al Hamishmar, Davar, The Occident and Egyenloseg.
A Special Collection of Haggadot for Passover
The story of the Exodus is one of the greatest sources of inspiration in the history of the Israeli nation.
Change to RAMBI Subject Searching
Subject searching in RAMBI, The Index to Articles in Jewish Studies, is being changed so that searching a subject either in English or in Hebrew will retrieve both Hebrew and European language articles.
Notice regarding the Publication of the Shortlist of Vendors for the Israel Archive Network Project Archive Management System RFI
The publication of the vendor shortlist has been delayed.
The project team is currently reviewing the RFI responses that were received.
Auto Da Fé
The National Library has purchased a rare collection of 39 Portuguese auto da fé sermons, printed between the years 1618-1727.
A new publication has been added to the JPRESS website: Al HaMishmar.
Appearing during the years 1943-1995, it served as the mouthpiece of Mapam, the radical left Zionist party and its Kibuzim movement. Among the writers for the newspaper were prominent intellectuals and literary figures, such as the poets Leah Goldberg (1911-1970) and Avraham Shlonsky (1900-1973).
This is the twenty-eighth serial publication to be added to the Jewish Historical newspapers website.