The History of the Books Law – Legal Deposit – in Israel
The legal deposit requirement was part of a British legislation passed in 1924. As per the British mandate, copies were deposited with the director of the department of education and the governor of the district where the book was printed.
In 1953, 30 years later, the mandate was amended and accepted as law in the State of Israel. New organizations were chosen to receive legal deposits, replacing the British institutions that had previously received the deposits during the years of the British Mandate: one copy of every publication was to be deposited at the State Archive, another copy at the Knesset Library, and two copies at the National Library.
On December 18, 2000, the Knesset passed the “Books Law”. This law reworked the legal deposit requirement to include publications that are not printed on paper.
The Books Law set the National Library of Israel as the primary deposit organization in Israel, minimizing deposit requirements for the State Archive and Knesset Library.