In but a few examples of Jerusalem Ketubot appear structures, simple though they may be, that can certainly be identified with the Temple.
Such a rare example may seen in this interesting ketubah that arrived from Georgia during the course of the 19th century. In 1891, the Georgian community in Jerusalem numbered some 600 people. The ketubot from “the Georgistan Kolel" generaly keep with the traditions of their country of origin. However, this ketubah also displays local sites.
At the top half of the ketubah are two structures, both of them with crescents at their tops, set against the background of decorative flowers. The outlines of the ketubah are sharp and clear and bring to mind, not coincidently, the Muslim structures on the Temple Mount.
In the folk art that developed in Eretz Yisrael during the 19th century the depiction of the Western Wall, with a row of cypress trees above it and these two structures, was very widespread. In these depictions the Al-Aqsa Mosque is to the right, and the Dome of the Rock is to the left. The Dome of the Rock had been misidentified in previous generations with the Temple, while the Al-Aqsa Mosque was identified with “Midrash Shlomo”. There is no doubt that in this ketubah these structures symbolize Solomon’s Temple and his academy.